Friday, May 16, 2014

Top 5 MLB Walk Up Songs

Everyone always asks me, “Had you gone on to play baseball, what would your walk up song be?” I haven’t had to think about it because the song I have in mind is unique and have yet to hear anyone use anything by the same artist.

A couple months ago I went to a Texas A&M baseball game and the announcer calls the second baseman and they start playing his walk up music. The minute it came on I was like this country bumpkin mufug swagger jacked me. Absolutely took my jam. However upset I got I was actually impressed that he used that as his song and went right out and bought a Texas A&M shirt.

My walk up song is as follows:



The original question and experience got me thinking; who has the best walk up song? Figure I would include past and present players. So here’s my list.

5. Josh Reddick, OAK – “Careless Whisper”, George Michael

Power move.  Guy throws up a slow jazz sax solo and lulls the pitcher to sleep. Some people want to get amped up, Reddick just wants to get the ladies wet. A couple seasons ago Josh looked like he lived under a bridge with a mountain man beard and hair to his shoulders. Now he’s clean cut and needed his walk up song to embody who he is. Everyone has to be completely rattled when this comes on the PA. I love it. This guy loves it. Just lost in the moment without a care in the world. Getting his best white suburban dad dance moves going, dry humping the air and embarrassing his teenage daughter (Second video, 30 second mark).





4. Chris Carter, HOU – “Mr. Carter”, Lil Wayne

Last name is Carter. Song was made for him. If there is a song that references your last name you can’t not use it for a walk up song. I don’t give a shit if you don’t like the song, its destiny. It gets the people going and makes you feel a thousand feet tall. Like the Great Hambino just grab your nuts, point to the outfield and crush one to the short porch. Too bad he is a 50/50 hitter; he’s an out or a dinger.




3. Dante Bichette, COL – “Sledgehammer”, Peter Gabriel

The Italian Stallion. Guy was the definition of business up front and party in the back. Mullet rivaled that of the Big Unit. Had a crazy walk to the plate; flip the bat, give the shredded lettuce a quick shake, big ol shoulder shrug with the bat, and then he’d step in. It was only right, he was swinging a sledgehammer and Peter Gabriel just put it to a beat for him. This guy was my favorite player growing up. I was only 8 years old when my dad took me to a game and I demanded we pick up a cassette tape on the way home. Needed it, wanted it, and had to have it. Played that bad boy on loop until the tape gave out, singing the solo getting the grade school breezies all hot and bothered. Mostly bothered



2. Eric Young Jr., COL – “Stuntin’ Like My Daddy”, Lil Wayne

Sometimes you just gotsta get ya groove on. Dad played baseball and you make it to the majors. Can’t stop, won’t stop. Song says it all.



1. Mo Rivera, NYY – “Enter Sandman”, Metallica

The OG. Strikes fear into a batters heart. Word on the street is he didn’t even pick it. The AV guy did it for him. Obviously worked out. Hall of Fame career and an intimidating trot to the mound. Every player had to be shitting a brick every time they heard his name and song called. Not much else to say. Classic.



Honorable mentions:

Jonathan Papelbon, BOS – “Shipping Up to Boston”, Dropkick Murphys
Fucking Massholes

Chipper Jones, ATL – “Crazy Train”, Black Sabbath
Crazy train right to mouth cancer, he and Lenny Dykstra single handedly kept Skoal in business

Ken Griffey Jr., SEA – “Hip Hop Hooray”, Naughty by Nature
Hey Ho, Hey Ho

Andres Galarraga, COL – “Pink Panther”, the movie
Nickname was the Big Cat. I only associate two things with him 1) cats, and 2) Lil Dicky she had a real big cat Andres Galarraga pussy, I hit it real hard Troy Polamalu on that pussy

Trevor Hoffman, SD – “Hells Bells” ACDC
Would have been better to go out with “Big Balls”

Prince Fielder, MIL – “Requiem”, Mozart
Love the moxie by this fat bastard

No comments:

Post a Comment